XOOPS is an acronym for extensible Object Oriented Portal System. It is a freely available open source Content Management System (CMS). It was created and developed by a team of volunteers from around the globe. It has a large community that offers official support for non-English speaking users.
It is written in PHP for the MySQL database. It is considered an ideal tool for developing weblogs, intra-company and corporate portals, and small and large community websites. It originally started as a portal system, but now it is striving steadily as a CMS.
It is used as a web framework by many sites, from small to large. It is released under the GPL license. Users are free to modify and redistribute it, as long as they abide with the GPL’s distribution terms.
It has won several awards. In fact, many books have been written on XOOPS, in five different languages.
Some Features of XOOPS are as Follows:
1. To store data that is required to run a web-based CMS, XOOPS uses a relational database, like MySQL.
2. Through the XOOPS module administration system, modules can be installed or installed and activated or deactivated at the click of a button.
3. It is driven by a robust theme system. Users and administrators can change the look of an entire website with just a click.
4. Users that register on XOOPS can easily select site themes, edit their own profiles, upload custom avatars, and do lots more.
5. Its template based messaging system allows users to search using various criteria and send email and private messages to other users.
6. It supports multi-byte characters sets for languages that utilize characters that do not belong to the Latin alphabet. Some examples of such languages are Japanese, Korean, etc. Help for such languages is also available on the PDF generation facility that is offered by the TCPDF library.