SilverStripe is a free, extremely popular open source Content Management System (CMS) and framework that comes with a BSD license. It is used for creating and maintaining web applications and websites. The core of SilverStripe is called the SilverStripe Framework which is written in PHP 5.3. It is extensible through widgets, themes, modules, and code customization. Its theme directory offers a number of freely available themes that have been contributed by its community. Also available are widgets, themes, and modules which can be downloaded for free under the BSD License.
• It has been translated into 65 languages.
• It has been downloaded more than 714000 times.
• Its forum has over 80000 posts.
• More than 270 companies are part of the developer network.
It is preferred by users that require a truly open source solution, a framework that they can easily customize. But it is not a good fit for users who are unsure of their coding skills.
Some Features of SilverStripe are as Follows:
• The SilverStripe Admin Interface is Super-Friendly – Once the use logs in, they find that the admin panel has fewer menus in comparison to other CMSs. The Help menu is placed within the interface. Many users find the framework to be the cleanest among the rest. However, some users seek a separate menu for themes and modules/extensions which is not a feature of SilverStripe yet.
• Flexibility and Customization – SilverStripe’s repository is well populated. There are separate modules for Bing, Portfolio, etc. It is flexible and the user can easily create any type of website using it.
• Help and Support – SilverStripe’s community is an active one. There are multiple meetup groups in various parts of the world too. The forums and IRC channel are well populated as well. In documentation, SilverStripe offers separate guides for creating themes and modules, along with screencasts.